Notre Dame des Victoires

At the center of the original collection of port-side buildings of old Quebec is Notre Dame des Victoires (Our Lady Of Victories) which was constructed shortly after the founding of the city by Samuel de Champlain in 1608. 

Originally dedicated to l'Enfant Jésus, it received the name Notre-Dame-de-la-Victoire following the Battle of Quebec of 1690, in which an English expedition was forced to retreat. In 1711, its name was changed again, to Notre-Dame-des-Victoires, after bad weather had sunk a British fleet on it's way to attack the town.